Tuesday, August 19, 2008

It's Crunch Time ...

Almost every time we take Joshua somewhere ... we have THE TALK. You see, Joshua has a few boundary issues. He happens to like people so much that he LOVES them to the ground. We noticed the trend of "love pummeling" and now have THE TALK ... it goes a little something like this:
Me: "Joshua, you are going play with your friends. We don't touch our friends, we don't push our friends, we don't bonk our friends on the head. Do you understand?"
Joshua: "Yes. I bonk my friends."
Me: "No, Joshua. Mom said you DON'T bonk. Say okay, Mom."
Joshua: "Okay, Mom."

On Sunday, as we got out of the car at church, Joshua got THE TALK. As he ran to play with his friends, Ben and I thought this might be the day of a breakthrough. Fast forward an hour. Ben checked him out of his class and I was about 20 yards away. Joshua came running down the hallway (with craft in hand), yelling ... "Mom ... I go time out. I crunched my friend." Picture it with me people ... parents stopped chatting, a hush came over the crowd ... I believe in that moment, we might just have become THAT FAMILY ... with THAT KID.

Ben says it's just a phase ... he's a boy. True .. love pummeling won't get you a spot on Toddlers Most Wanted ... but what exactly is CRUNCHING?

I'm looking into 12 step programs. We're already working on his mantra ...
"Hi, I'm Joshua ... I'm a cruncher."
On a positive note, Cruncher is potty trained and he eats his veggies! (Strange ... but he asked to drink them?? Who needs silverware??)

4 comments:

  1. That is so funny. You're such a good story-teller! I don't know what crunching is... but it sounds like you might need to include it in the talk. I love how the talk ends with "Say okay, Mom." I probably say that to my boys ten times a day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'Cruncher', now that's a nick name. Hilarious story - you'll remember to tell that one when he's 15 and a kicker for the football team!
    I'm glad I'm not alone though. Did you know that Caleb got put on a behavior contract at the Y because he is a bit rough? Yeah, in the emotion I was going to post it on the blog but then I never did.
    Congrats on the potty training!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bring on the big boy underpants!!! Hooray!

    At least he's crunching out of love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great story! We have a problem with bonking at our house, too.

    Your boys are darling!

    ReplyDelete